Timberland partners with Epic Games’ Unreal Engine and CONCEPTKICKS to launch a one-of-a-kind design innovation experience that mixes the physical and virtual worlds to redefine product design and engage customers in the trip.
The collaboration, which is centered on Timberland’s CONSTRUCT: 10061 initiative, enables gamers and footwear enthusiasts from across the world to embrace the realm of design, invention, and innovation – highlighted by an immersive playable experience in Fortnite.
Introducing Timberland Construct:10061 created in Fortnite, powered by Epic Games' Unreal Engine.— Timberland (@Timberland) June 9, 2022
Join the journey as we blend the real and virtual worlds to reimagine iconic product design and boot innovation.
MAP CODE: 4313-0063-0736#TIMBERLANDFORTNITE pic.twitter.com/22S4j72T3I
Elements of the multi-faceted, multi-stakeholder project include:
- Timberland Design Lab and Maker Space, in Fortnite: By visiting the virtual design studio in Fortnite, players can get a rare look inside Timberland’s footwear innovation and design process.
- Meta Design Workshop: Timberland’s Advanced Concepts & Energy (ACE) team, CONCEPTKICKS, and CONSTRUCT: 10061 collaborated with digital innovators from BeyondCreative for a design workshop and construct that took place exclusively in Fortnite’s virtual Timberland Design Lab. The result was four stunning Metaboots, featuring a reproduction of the classic yellow boot, as well as three unique boots inspired by specific outdoor biomes produced as part of the project.
- Timberland Parkour Trails: This unique gaming experience takes place on a custom Fortnite island with biomes from the Arctic, Desert, and Forest. After visiting the Design Lab, players must complete trials and obstacles in each biome, unlocking unique effects when they reach the Metaboots and return the samples to the lab.
- Metaboots, in AR: The Forest Metaboot was developed in high detail with Unreal Engine and is visible and accessible in AR via Sketchfab. The AR boot is displayed against backgrounds inspired by the Forest ecosystem and created with Unreal Engine’s Quixel Megascans.
- Prototype Boots, in AR: Eight physical prototypes from a recent IRL workshop have also been scanned and placed against biome-inspired backdrops using Unreal Engine-powered Twinmotion and Quixel Megascans. These are also accessible in AR through Sketchfab.