FC Barcelona’s auction of the one-of-a-kind NFT, created to celebrate Johan Cruyff’s “impossible goal” against Atletico Madrid in 1973, was a tremendous success.
After running for less than 24 hours, starting July 29th, the auction closed with a bid of $693,000, almost $700,000.
As a result, the winner of the auction will receive four NFTs in addition to the NFT, and also enjoy the following utilities:
- Meet & Greets;
- Visits to La Masia, hospitality rights (for a minimum of five years);
- Right to play at the Spotify Camp Nou;
- Official handover of the ball before some friendly match.
NFTs seem to be a great way to enshrine memories forever, as well as immortalize incredible events for life. As people become familiar with NFTs and appreciate their potential and value, they are becoming more widespread.
With many football clubs entering the Web3, football is one of the sports most involved in this new technological age.
Here are some of the latest Web3 football news:
- FIFA has filed a trademark application for “WORLD CUP 2026” to enter the metaverse.
- Last month, Cristiano Ronaldo announced a partnership with Binance to release exclusive NFT collections;
- Former AC Milan and Barcelona player Kevin-Prince Boateng married Italian model Valentina Fradegrada in the metaverse.
- In May, Leeds United Football Club released a limited series of NFTs in order to raise funds for the Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal.